Instrumentation Engineer – USA
Sixense Inc. is the US subsidiary of the group. The company has its main office in Bothell, WA and operates through the entire country from regional offices in Los Angeles, CA and Silver Spring, MD. With 35 permanent employees, Sixense Inc. offers the full spectrum of solutions of the group, with a predominant experience historically in construction monitoring, structural health monitoring and asset management services.
About the position
Sixense is the worldwide leader for the design, installation, maintenance and operation of large automated monitoring systems during the construction of iconic infrastructure across the globe. The HRBT project is one of them and a wide array of sensors combine to multiple monitoring techniques will be used. Structural and geotechnical instruments are key components installed on major infrastructure projects and over the last two decades, Sixense has developed proprietary software’s and techniques to allow engineers to monitor and understand soil and structure behavior during the project.
Sixense Inc. deployed hundreds of sensors in the USA and Canada on small and large construction projects. Their performance relies on the robustness of their initial design and on the quality of the post-processing of the data. Using our technique and proprietary software, Sixense Inc. is looking for an Instrumentation Engineer (or senior Instrumentation Technician) in order to strengthen our capacity to deploy structural and geotechnical Instrumentation on the HRBT project. The Instrumentation Engineer will design, supply, install and maintain the monitoring system on the project with the support of the local team.
• Under the supervision of the Project Manager, performs the project tasks related to the Specialty, in accordance with the company policies, methods and practices,
• Provide technical expertise, design recommendations, quality control and managerial support to the Project Manager,
• Performs the work and enforces the rules in accordance with all applicable regulations, policies, methods, and practices developed for the Specialty, Responsible for safety in the work environment,
• Prepares submittals, designs, material purchases, and accurate record keeping,
• Demonstrates ability to perform completely (design, setup, completion and reporting) and successfully the tasks listed below:
o Pre-installation: design, building, acceptance testing, logging and records keeping, comparing installation plan to technical/client requirements, delivery to site. Notification to Project Manager of defect,
o On-site installation: assembling, installing, on-site configuring and commissioning, verification of normal readings, documenting and records keeping including Pre and Post installation photos and forms,
o Post-Installation: prepare submittals, perform necessary programming of loggers, provide information, documenting and records keeping as required to Project Manager and Monitoring Engineers for their proper software implementation,
o On-site maintenance and operations: routine QC inspections, calibrations, maintenance and cleaning, observe system performance, diagnose failures and subsequently failure prevention, perform repairs as necessary, document site conditions and identify potential problem areas, documentation and record keeping as required,
o Decommissioning and disposal: uninstall instruments and associated components, dispose of non-reusable parts, repatriation of re-usable parts to the relevant office, cleaning and restoration of site to pre-existing conditions, cleaning and restoration of inventoried instruments for future deployments, documentation of the inventory data base
• Attends client meetings and participates in presentations as assigned,
• Provides documentation and supports Project Manager to prepare and track claims, change orders, extra work orders,
• Acts as Assistant Project Manager, as required,
• Assists in risk assessment,
• Other duties as assigned.
Education, training and experience
• Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Civil/Geotech Preferred)
• OSHA 10-hour safety training
• First Aid/CPR
• Experience (Minimum 2-4 years) related to the Specialty,
Knowledge and abilities
• Knowledge in the Specialty,
• Basic knowledge of job costing procedures
• Ability to suggest recommendations to Project Manager for project related decisions such as estimating and risk assessment,
• Ability to meet with clients,
• Scheduling skills,
• MS Word, Excel and Outlook relative to reporting site construction and engineering activities.
• Reaching high and low, stooping, and bending continually,
• Lifting/carrying/moving at least 40 pounds and up to 100 pounds continually,
• Travels per the company travel policy, often overnight and away from home,
• Able to concentrate at a high degree in a busy and noisy construction environment,
• Able to work in all types of weather.
• Rational decision-making ability,
• Attention to details,
• Concentrates on tasks,
• Converses effectively using both verbal and written communication,
• Makes final decisions and assumes accountability for them,
• Identify and resolve conflict,
• Demonstrates ability to manage stress and emotions as related to the workplace,
• Ability to learn quickly and take on new responsibility as needed,
• Assesses safety and risk.
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
In an effort to foster a diverse workforce Sixense INC encourages applications from minorities, veterans, women and individuals with disabilities. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.
Sixense Inc. participates in E-Verify.
o Level 1 – Technician
o Level 2 – Junior Engineer/Senior Technician
o Level 3 – Senior Engineer/Assistant Project Manager